วันศุกร์ที่ 30 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Present Perfect and Past Simple


Present Perfect and Past Simple
A: We use the present perfect when we talk about something that happened in a period of time up to the present. We use the past simple to talk about something that happened at a particular, finished time in the past. Compare:
Ex:   Science has made many major advances this century, and
                     Scientists made some fundamental discoveries in the 18th century.
                     He puts to good use things that other people have thrown away, and
                     I threw away most of my old books when I moved house.

When we report that someone has recently invented, produced, discovered or written something we use the present perfect. When we talk about something that was invented, etc. in the more distant past we use the past simple. Compare:
Ex:   Scientist have discovered that, all over the world, millions of frogs and toads are dying.
         It is often said that Hernan Cortes 'discovered' Mexico in 1519.
         Two schoolchildren have invented a device for moving large objects up flights of stairs.
                     Chinese craftsmen invented both paper and printing.
B: We can use either the present perfect or the past simple to talk about repeated actions or events. If we use the present perfect, we often suggest that the action or event might happen again.

Sometimes we emphasize this with phrases such as so far and up to now. If we use the past simple, it suggests that it is finished and won't happen again. Compare:
Ex:   Timson has made 13 films and I think her latest is the best, and
                     Timson made 13 films before she was tragically killed in a car accident.
                     Lee has represented his country on many occasions, and hopes to go on to compete in the next Olympics, and
                     Lee represented his country on many occasions, but was forced to retire after an injury.
C: We can use both the present perfect and the past simple to talk about states. We use the present perfect to talk about a state that existed in the past and still exists now, and we use the past simple if the state no longer exists. Compare:
Ex:   I have known him most of my working life. (I am still working) and
                     I knew him when we were both working in Rome.
                     We have belonged to the tennis club since we moved here. (We still belong to it.) and
                     We belonged to the tennis club in the village we used to live in.
D: Time adverbs that refer to the present, such as today, this morning/week/month, can also be used with either the present perfect or past simple. If we see today etc. as a past, completed period of time, then we use the past simple; if we see today, etc. as a period including the present moment, then we use the present perfect. Compare:
Ex:   I didn't shave today (= the usual time has passed; suggests I will not shave today) and
            I haven't shaved today. (= today is not finished; I may shave later or may not)
            I wrote three letters this morning. (= the morning is over) and
            I've written three letters this morning. (= it is still morning)

E: We use since to talk about a period that started at some point in the past and continues until the present time. This is why we often use since with the present perfect:
Ex:   Since 1990 I have lived in a small house near the coast.
                     Tom has been ill since Christmas.

In a sentence which includes a since-clause, the usual pattern is for the since-clause to contain a past simple, and the main clause to contain a present perfect:
Ex:   Since Mr Hassan became president, both taxes and unemployment have increased.
            I haven't been able to play tennis since I broke my arm.

However, we can use a present perfect in the since-clause if the two situations described in the main and since-clause extend until the present:
Ex:   Since I've lived here, I haven't seen my neighbors.

F:  We use the present perfect with ever and never to emphasize that we are talking about the whole of a period of time up until the present:
Ex:   It's one of the most magnificent views I have ever seen. (= in my whole life)
            I've never had any problems with my car. (= at any time since I bought it)

We use the past simple with ever and never to talk about a completed period in the past:
Ex:   When he was young, he never bothered too much about his appearance.




EXERCISES

I- Complete these sentences with the verb given. Choose the present perfect or past simple.

1- According to yesterday's newspapers, astronomers in Australia___________ a planet in a galaxy close to our own. (discover)
2- To help today's customers make a choice, a company in New York ___________________ a video trolley a supermarket trolley with a video screen to display advertisements and price information. (develop)
3- At the start of his career, Cousteau ____________________ the aqualung, opening the oceans to explorers, scientists, and leisure divers. (invent)
4- He proudly told reporters that the company __________________ software to prevent the recent increase in computer crime, (produce)
5 John Grigg _________________ the comet now called Grigg-Skjellerup, at the beginning of the 20th century. (discover)

II- Complete the sentences with appropriate verbs. Use the same verb for each sentence in the pair. Use either the present perfect or the past simple.

1- a: A lot of people_________________ about the painting, and I always say it's not for sale.
b: The police ______________ me several questions about my car before they let me go.
2-  a: Until she retired last month, she__________________ in the customer complaints department.
b: Sullivan __________________ hard to change the rules and says that the campaign will go on.
3-  a: I _______________ skiing ever since I lived in Switzerland.
b: She once __________________ the support of the majority of the Democratic Party.
4-  a: His father ________________ so many complaints about the noise that he told Chris to sell his drums.
b: We ________________ over 50 letters of support in the last 10 days.
5-  a: The Bible __________________ more copies than any other book.
b: When it became clear that we would be moving to Austria, we __________________ the house to my brother.
6-  a: I ___________________ moving to London from the day I arrived. I'd love to go back to Rome.
b: At first I __________________ inviting them to stay, but we soon became great friends.

 Present perfect continuous  (I have been doing; and present perfect (I have done)


I- Compare the use of the present perfect continuous and the present perfect:

      Present Perfect continuous:

Ex:   The guests have been arriving since about 6 o'clock.
                     Since the operation two months ago, Joe has been learning to walk again. He can already take two or three steps unaided.
                     She's been driving for 3 years now.

         Present perfect:

            Ex:   Mark and Helena have arrived - they're in the sitting room.
                     I have learnt a lot about painting from Paul.
                     We have driven all the way here without a break.

@We use both the present perfect continuous and the present perfect to talk about something that started in the past and which affects the situation that exists now. The difference is that the present perfect continuous focuses on the activity or event which may or may not be finished. The present perfect, however, focuses on the effect of the activity or event, or the fact that something has been achieved.

      Sometimes the difference between them is simply one of emphasis.

            Ex:   I've been following their discussions with great interest, (emphasises the activity; that is, my following their discussions)

                     I've followed their discussions with great interest, (emphasises the result; I may now react to what was said or decided)

II- We can use either the present perfect continuous or the present perfect to talk about activities or events that are repeated again and again until now:
            Ex:   Joseph has been kicking a football against the wall all afternoon, (or ...has kicked...)
                     The press has been calling for her resignation for several weeks, (or ...has called...)
@ However, if we mention the number of times the activity or event was repeated, we use the present perfect rather than the present perfect continuous:
            Ex:   I've bumped into Susan 3 times this week.
                     He has played for the national team in 65 matches so far.

III- We use the present perfect rather than the present perfect continuous when we talk about long lasting or permanent situations, or when we want to emphasize that we are talking about the whole of a period of time until the present.

            Ex:   I have always admired Chester's work.
                     They are the most delicious oranges I've ever eaten.

@ When we talk about more temporary situations we can often use either the present perfect continuous or the present perfect:
Ex:   'Where's Dr Owen's office?' 'Sorry, I don't know. I've only worked / I've only been working here for a couple of days.'

III- When we want to emphasize that a situation has changed over a period of time up to now, and may continue to change, we prefer the present perfect continuous to the present perfect:
            Ex:   The pollution problem has been getting worse over the last decade.
                     Sales have been increasing for some time.

However, if we talk about a specific change over a period of time which ends now, particularly to focus on the result of this change, we use the present perfect.
            Ex:   Prices have decreased by 7%. {= in a period up to now)
                     The population has grown from 35 million in 1950 to 42 million today.

EXERCISES

1- Complete the sentences with these verbs, using the same one for each sentence in the pair. Use the present perfect in one sentence and the present perfect continuous in the other.

            claim  disappear     give    move  stop

1- A: An important file from my office.
           B:  Plants and vegetables from my garden since we had new neighbours.
2 -A: Dr Fletcher the same lecture to students for the last ten years.
B: Mr Goldman nearly a million pounds to the charity this year.
3-A: With their win yesterday, Italy into second place in the table.
 B: As house prices in the cities have risen, people into the countryside.
4 A: For years he that he is related to the royal family.
   B: The earthquake over 5000 lives.
5-A: All day, the police motorists to question them about the accident.
    B: Good, the noise I can start concentrating on my work again.

2- Choose the most appropriate sentence ending.

1- I've swum...                   a- and I feel exhausted,                
2- I've been swimming... b- thirty lengths of the pool.        
3 They have asked me...               a- to visit them for ages, but I've never had the time,
4 They have been asking me...    b- to join the company on a number of occasions.
5 I have visited Vienna...             a- three or four times before,
6 I've been visiting Vienna...       b - since 1990 and I've always felt very safe here.
7 We've stayed...                           a at this hotel a couple of times before,
8 We've been staying...                 b at a small hotel near the sea.

3- Complete these sentences using the verb given. If possible, use the present perfect continuous; if not, use the present perfect. Use /, to add any words outside the space.


1- Since they were very young, the children _____________________ (enjoy) travelling by plane.
2 -It ________________________(snow) heavily since this morning.
3 - I'm pleased to say that the team _________________ (play) well all season.
4- I never _________________ (understand) why we have to pay so much tax.
5- I __________________________(not read) any of Dickens' novels.
6- In recent years, Brazilian companies ___________________________(put) a lot of money into developing advanced technology.
 Prepared by SRS...

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น